Sunday, July 15, 2012

First 3 Poems

Fallen

I have traveled
on a thousand roads
and on one road
I have traveled,
to hear the voices’ calling,
wound like bits of string
and stones and the soul’s desire.

I have watched the birds
and I was told
that rain is consequence.
May it fall softly
on the children’s game.
And I have known
the roaring waves
that brought Agammemnon
to weefor the end of glory.
And I have known
a mother’s care
that sweeps a suicide
with aging hands.

I have traveled
on a thousand roads
and on one road
I have traveled,
to hear the voices’ calling,
wound like heaven from exile
and to a soul’s satisfaction
fallen from the wings of desire.



(Ex)colere, exercere, studere

Cast in a glimpse,
bronze angles,
cry for us –
what was tempered
from the dust;
we were not,
our eyes were not,

all that did not belong to us.

Gathered, they gathered
the wheat, the moonlight,
the word spoke,
primaevus,
the young, was a drab shawl
and marked the man, Abel’s brother
for what crime he didst commit.

And Hesse, in doubt,
called to an older friend,
and called not.

And was no sermon
and Pilate was not there,
the students
and Pound’s beard,
but a stubble.

And envy spoke not,
silent, Academicus,
and spoke of it all,
and was not of shame.

And I awoke, seeing the birds around me,
burdenless, and the mountain was not,
and was not survival,
and the beholder stared upon the perceived
like a child with his mouth open,
and the birds around me,
turned not their eyes.

And drank, they drank coffee
in the room, furnished with old oak,
and the book, covered with dust,
and on the shelf,
a bust of Caesar,
soggy with whining.
  

The Bridge

The hum of summer,
arched brow of the transparent bridge,
half-finished to heaven;
I learn again
what I know of knowledge,
leaning against the mystery.

I find it open,
this door to the desert
from the myths.
It’s not the water
smoking in the east,
the sun is not a thing like this,
an idea that drinks itself
from the borders.

Calm like a Moorish song,
I watch an old dance.
The flowers growing up,
the sky with clouds flowing
at a faster pace than I.

The bridge is my road –
two musics, of land and of sky
mount a horse that left me
on my way from the forest.

And I must play
on the strings of night
the sorrow of the land
to clear the air
of a laugh that wounds
a million stars.

The bridge is where a stranger
once stumbled upon himself
in the music of the stranger
and learned again
what he knew of knowledge
on which a mystery now leans.                 

 * “There is no name for us, when the stranger stumbles upon himself in the stranger”
- Mahmoud Darwish

No comments:

Post a Comment